Castle Park

Colchester's Castle Park is a site dominated by the massive Keep of the Castle. This magnificent Norman pile rises from the top of the hill that is the Town of Colchester, looking down on land that has been occupied since the Romans chose it for their Capital in the first century AD.

Colchester is recognised as the Oldest Recorded Town in the Country, 
and as such has a long and varied history.


Soon after 1066, Eudo led the building of this Castle for William the Conqueror, on the foundations of the Roman Temple of Claudius. It stood firm against all that could be thrown at it, until its upkeep became too costly and it became an open quarry.


Saved in the 19th century from complete ruin, it was roofed over 
in 1933 and eventually, along with its extensive grounds, 
the Castle Park, it was acquired by the Borough as 
a recreational resource for the local people of Colchester.

This treasure has lent itself to many a special event and spectacular, from gentle Rose Shows to vast Military Tattoos. 
It was with this established background that it was decided 
to use this natural amphitheatre as the backdrop 
for our first historical fair in Colchester, in 1989.
The largest greensward however is the Lower Park, which 
is overlooked from the south by rising ground leading up to the castle. 

The Lower Castle Park & Roman Wall before we set up.

These natural slopes give the spectator a fine opportunity to view
large-scale displays or fairs on the area that is Lower Castle Park.

The Park during the Festival .

It is here that Military Tattoos have been produced in the past,
and it here that the Colchester Medieval Festival
& Oyster Fayre Market is staged every summer.

Click here for an aerial view of the Castle and the Town Centre.

Click here for directions to the Oyster Fayre.

Back to the Bill of Fayre